His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-president and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, issued 10 reference points that should be followed on social media, Wednesday.
The list follows the open letter written by HH Sheikh Mohammed to residents and citizens in September. One subject discussed was keeping UAE’s integrity on social media.
10 social media rules by Sheikh Mohammed are as follows:
- A personality that represent Sheikh Zayed, the UAE’s founding father, and his principles when interacting with others.
- A personality that reflects the knowledge, culture and the level and sophistication of civilisation achieved by UAE.
- A personality that does not use insults, foul language or any other word that’s indecent.
- A personality that used logic and reasoning in a conversation.
- A personality that appreciates a good word, a beautiful picture and interacts with positive thoughts, cultures and societies.
- A personality that helps others by sharing information, ideas, social and human initiatives that enrich the country.
- A personality that gets involved with his/her international surroundings, speaks its language, deals with its issues and positively interacts with its future.
- A confident personality that accepts differences and builds bridges with other people.
- A personality that reflects the humble nature and love of Emiratis, and the love and openness towards others.
- A personality that adores its nation, is always proud of it, and would sacrifice for it.
“Neglect and chaos over social media platforms impact the achievements that thousands of work teams have dedicated their greatest efforts to build. The reputation of the UAE is not for public use by those who seek more followers,” the Prime Minister said in the letter.
“Our Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the official entity that manages our foreign issues, speaks on our behalf and represents our political standpoints. One of its main mandates also comprises maintaining 48 years of long-standing credibility and good reputation that the UAE has established with countries and peoples across the world. We shall not accept that a number of online users taint the legacy of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan that he established on the values of credibility, love and respect. The image of our country and citizens should remain as intact and bright as Sheikh Zayed had aspired it to be,” he added.